Today officially begins the 2011 24 Hour Zine Thing! For the next month, hepatitis participants all around the world will be devoting a full 24 hours (and a lot of coffee, buy more about sweat, diagnosis and tears) to the creation of a wonderful zine that they can call their own. There are already many events scheduled throughout the United States for people to meet up and share ideas, food and supplies while creating their zine into the wee hours of the night. Here are the confirmed events so far:
3rd Annual Portland Zine Symposium 24 Hour Zine Challenge
When: July 16th at 10:00am until July 17th at 10:00am
Where: The Independent Publishing Resource Center, 917 SW Oak St. #218 / Portland, OR. 97205 / USA map
Planning an event? Send the details to 24hourzines[at]gmail.com and I will post it on this website, the 24 Hour Zine Thing Facebook Page, and our Google calendar, which should be up on the site shortly!
What better way to celebrate this wonderful month of zines than a Pin Design Contest? One pin design will be chosen to grace the front of the 2011 24HZT Participant Pins, which will be given to each participant that successfully completes a 24 hour zine this month. The wonderful Alex Wrekk of Small World Buttons will be assembling the pins. Here are the requirements:
1. The words “24 Hour Zine Thing” and “2011″ must be incorporated into the design in someway.
2. Please follow these guidelines from Alex for the file formats when submitting your design:
“INFO ABOUT THE TEMPLATE
-The template is a lot larger in size but smaller in dpi (dots per inch) when you download it and it will be a .jpg file. Don’t worry about that when you download it. When you finish you design you can either send it as it is or make it 1.3″ x 1.3″ and 300 dpi.
- If you would like a more detailed template that you can open with layers, which you might need for things like writing on the edge of the button, I can e-mail you that template instead.
- I can accept most file types like: .jpg .gif .pdf
- I prefer the .tif format because it retains the colors well.”
3. You may submit as many designs as you would like!
4. All submissions must be received by midnight EST on July 22nd, 2011. You can submit the appropriate file type to 24hourzines[at]gmail.com
Here is the link to the template you can use for your designs: 24HZT – 2011 Pin Design Contest Template
The lucky winner will receive a bunch of the printed pins, as well as a gift bag from Avocado Tree Distro.
And finally, don’t forget that July is also International Zine Month